Conditions must have been just right for fennel this year. Not only did our original plant that had been limping along from last year spring into life, but our new plants (purchased as replacements for the original which I thought was near death) became oppressive giants, dwarfing all of the nearby herbs. So today, ala Jack's beanstalk, I hacked it down, . . . and we ate it.
In all seriousness, we tasted every part of it. We started a week or so ago with the flowers. They were in high demand again today--each filled with a burst of sweet licorice flavor.
The children just snap florets off of the flower and pop them into their mouths.
Next, we tasted chopped pieces of the bulb (the white slices pictured) and stalk (the hollow celery-like green pieces pictured). I am always impressed by what the children willingly taste when it comes from our edible garden. Next, the children requested that I pass around handfuls of the leaves so that they could taste those, too! (Note: Swallowtail butterfly caterpillars also enjoy fennel leaves.) We've also tasted radishes and broccoli, raw and fresh from the garden.
Special thanks to Miss Kay for washing and chopping this monster during lunch.
There's a Book for That!
Walking the World in Wonder: A Children's Herbal by Ellen Evert Hopman
The Herb Garden Cookbook by Lucinda Hutson
Edible Schoolyard by Alice Waters
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment