Often referred to as "horny toad," this little guy is actually the Texas state reptile: the Texas Horned Lizard. I've see them up in Seymour when we're hunting for fossils, but lifelong Houston residents say they used to spot "horny toads" here on a regular basis. They have since disappeared from this area.
But now . . . two representatives have returned to Houston!
Hurray for horny toads in H-town!
Hurray for horny toads in H-town!
These reptiles reside right outside our classroom. "When I hang up my backpack, it feels like the horned lizard is right on top of me!"
Beautiful murals of native Texas nature have been popping up all over our campus for a while, and it's been fun to watch the process. Mere moments after I rang the singing bowl to announce that it was now our turn, I received the first of what was to become a record number of requests to visit the bathroom. One of my first graders excitedly informed our muralist that Texas Horned Lizards are able to squirt a stream of blood from the corner of their eyes as a method of defense. I think maybe he was hoping she would add that to the painting.


Yes, nothing says love of nature and art like blood squirting from eyes.
ReplyDelete